Monday, May 13, 2019

Life after Heartbreak




In the moment I can’t breathe and my sun has disappeared behind endless clouds and acid rain, tumultuous thunder, and incessant wind.  I hold tightly to myself, clasping my heart with all my strength to hold together all the shattered pieces.  I’m lost.  The storm has destroyed everything around me and I recognize nothing anymore. All I have left are pictures and memories, and even some of them are destroyed. There are no arms to hold me. There are no heroes to help me.  There are no words to comfort me. Only pain.
But the storm doesn’t last forever. 
The wind calms, the lighting ceases, and thunder’s rumble wanes in the distance. I lift my face toward the gray skies.  The gentle rain washes away my tears and I open my mouth letting the refreshing drops land on my parched tongue.  I loosen my fists and unwrap my arms, stand to my feet, and lift my hands. I close my eyes and scream into the heavens until my throat is hoarse and I can scream no more.   
Then I breathe.
I breathe again.
I listen to my heartbeat.
I breathe again.
I listen to the last of the rain drops fall onto the earth.
I breathe again.
I listen to the warm wind and feel it rush over me, drying tears from my face.
I breathe again.
I feel the warmth and see the red behind my closed eyelids as the sun parts the clouds and washes over me.
I breathe again.
I hear birdsong.
I breathe again. 
I hear waves crashing against the shore.
I breathe again.
I open my eyes and see a sailboat in the distance.
I breathe again, this time faster. 
I step into the water, it’s calling me deeper. 
I breathe again.
I dive beneath the break and its commanding waves to surface on the other side. The sailboat is closer.
I breathe again as I swim.
I approach the boat, but see no way to climb aboard, until a hand reaches down towards me.  I look back towards the shore and see the remnants of the storm behind it and a hard lump forms in my throat. But, I turn away and grab the hand and exhale as I’m pulled aboard.
I smile.
I don’t know where I’m going, or what journey I am on, I just know I can never go back to where I was before.
There is life after heartbreak, and living to be done, and I breathe.
Till next time,
~T.L. Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment