Wednesday, May 22, 2019

The Graduate




Congratulations to Anthony Z. Smith, Class of 2019 Heritage High School, Palm Bay, Florida. 
You did it, Anthony!  You’ve exceeded your parents, brought a new generation to a higher level of education, and accomplished something that took most of your life to achieve.  It’s no simple feat, but remember you didn’t do it alone. Graduation isn’t only your dream, but the dream of your father, mother, grandparents, step parents, siblings, other family members and friends. While you’ve made many personal sacrifices to get there, so have many others in your life, but mostly your dad, to thank for your success.
YOU are Jon’s pride and joy. YOU are his greatest accomplishment. Your graduation was one of his dreams from the moment he found out you were on the way into this world. I’ve watched your father get up early to get you to school (yes, he missed a few mornings – that’s an understatement) and then cut his work day short to pick you up.  He made many sacrifices for you over, and over, and over, and over, and over again.  He didn’t miss a concert.  You were too busy on the stage to see the pride and hope that beamed from his eyes as he sat in the audience.  I’m sure many times he asked himself how he got so blessed to have you as a son.  He often beats himself up because he wished he could have given you more, but he gave you the best he had – his heart.  He chose you, and your brother, above all and everyone else.  That’s one of the reasons you are where you are – you had help getting there. Make sure you tell him you appreciate him.
BUT, my son (you will always be my son), YOU made the biggest impact to get to this point in your life. I’m so proud of you.  You always made your school work a priority. You set the goal, and you achieved it. You could have given up, like so many around you, but you didn’t, and for that you should be proud.  You did it! 
I know I’m not anyone significant or important in your life anymore, but I’m so proud of you. Tears of joy and love stream down my face as I write this blog post and anticipate watching you walk across that stage on Friday in your cap and gown. (Please tell me your dad got your cap and gown.)
This is the end of a big chapter in your life, the door of adolescence closing behind you as you walk into the realm of adulthood. Everything in your life is changing – everything. It’s time to put those childish things behind you and pick up your sword and fight in life, because, Son, that’s exactly what you will have to do in order to succeed.  You’re going to have to fight for everything.  It is now YOUR responsibility to make things happen. It’s no longer your Dad’s responsibility. While he may be there for you – this is your job now.  It’s YOUR obligation to make something of yourself, to get a job, to go to college, to provide for yourself, to shape the life you live.  The kind of man YOU are will now be determined by the choices YOU make. You are a handsome, smart, caring young man – and I just hope I have the honor and privilege to get to see you succeed in life, even if it’s from a distance.  I may not be in your everyday life now, but you will ALWAYS be my son, and always be in my heart.  I chose you, remember.  I still choose you. You may not be my son by birth, but you are my son by love, and I will always love you.
Be smart, Anthony. Be vigilant.  It’s time to put down the game controller and put on your mantle.  You have the ability to br better than you ever believed, to go further than you’ve ever dreamed, and do things more than you’ve ever imagined. Thank you for letting me be a part of your life these last three years. It has been an honor and privilege to know you, to love you, and now watch you graduate.

I love you, Anthony Z. Smith – Congratulations high school graduate!

~Tonya

No comments:

Post a Comment