Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Get Me?



Someone sent me a meme yesterday and upon first glance I thought it was a clever meme, but didn’t really think much about it. At least, that’s what I thought. I was wrong. The meme: “Understanding is deeper than knowledge. There are many who know you, but there are very few who understand you.”

The following bit of banter followed:

Me: “Indeed, I’m sharing that one.”

Him: “I know.”

Me: “I know you know. You know?”

Him: “I know.”

Me: “I like a man that knows what to know.”

Him: “A wise man knows he knows nothing at all.”

Me: “That too is something to know. Knowing to know nothing is knowing something indeed.”

Him: “Indeed.”

Within an hour of receiving that meme I had more than a dozen deep thoughts. I mostly considered the people who say they know me, who believe they know me, who once thought they knew me … but how many don’t or didn’t get me. The funny thing is … it’s a person that doesn’t know much of anything about me who gets me most of all. Those who were supposed to love and understand me most in this world, never got even close.

Then, I stumbled upon a song “Gotten” by Adam Levine and it just hit my soul like a ten-ton elephant. I can’t shake it. I can’t get it out of my system. I’ve cried a dozen times already. I’m crying right now as I’m writing this blog post.

“I’ve been saving …these last words for …one last miracle, but now I’m not sure. I can’t save you if you don’t let me. You just get me ...like I’ve never been gotten before.”

I suppose if I have one wish it would be to find someone who truly gets me. I want to be able to look at them in the eyes, and without having to say a single word, know they get me. I want to look in their eyes and know… they know. They know how I feel, what I think, why I respond the way I do, what I need, what I want, and how much I love them. I’d also like to do the same. I want to look into a pair of eyes and see love… love for me and all the craziness that I am. All without words. That’s quite contrary to a person who makes a living with her words.

“I’ve been saving …these last words for …one last miracle, but now I’m not sure. I can’t save you if you don’t let me. You just get me ...like I’ve never been gotten before.”

Get me?

~T.L. Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment