Monday, May 01, 2006

The Gunslinger Series by Stephen King

I've just completed book four Wizard & Glass in this series and I have to tell you, it's the best so far. I loved going back and revisiting Roland Deschain's past, learning about when he first became a gunslinger and experiancing his first love and loss, Susan & his mother.

I think this book was written better than the first three combined. It was more engaging and the pacing much better.

One of the things I've notice about Stephen King, is he likes to insert every little detail. I think the man has controls issues. He wants to guide your every step, create the picture for you and let you sit back and try to soak it all in. However, most of us retain more when we feel we are a part of something - not on the outside looking in. I like to form my own pictures - as the artist paints - not having him describe it to me afterwards. Anyway - this book drew me more into the story - it made me fall in love with Roland, Cuthbert and Alain. I was able to sympathize with Susan and learned to detest those who were against Roland and his ka-tet.

In the earlier books, I related more to Roland's new Ka-tet, than I did with Roland. I was drawn into the characters of Odetta/Detta/Susannah, Eddie, Jake and Oy - but Roland was hard to identify with. He was this hard edge character that kept himself closed off from the rest. But, in Wizard and Glass - he opened up and we got to finally meet the man beneath the guns.

I loved the way this story also overlapped with The Stand and the Wizard of Oz. King is a mastermind when it comes to layering a story. Though, I still think he could cut back on some of the details. I found myself skimming - and I hate to skim over anything.

Well, I'll start book five - Calla sometime this week.

Till next time,
~T.L. Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment