Friday, February 18, 2011

Cheap Cabernet Review

This was a hard book to read for me. Not because of the writing, but because of the subject matter. After reading the first few chapters, I felt like Cathie Beck had been peeking into my life. When the story progressed to where we meet Diane and Cathie starts to notice the first signs of Multiple Sclerosis, I had to put the book down. Not because it was disturbing, but because it reminded me of things I've long chosen to forget.


I so tried to keep my editorial eyes open while I read this memoir,looking for pacing, story structure, fludity, etc. Instead I found a catalyst that threw so many things I have chosen to stash away right back into the forefront of my mind. This story doesn't entertain me, it makes me feel, makes me remember. Maybe not everyone, perhaps not many who haven't went through a lot of the same things or had a friend like Debbie or have known someone with MS, will get the same thing out of it, but it felt like Beck let me have peek into her soul at the time she was sneaking a peek into my own.


I've never read another book like this. I really wouldn't even know how to categorize it. I'm too close, having grown up with a mother with MS, been a teenage mom, a single-parent in my early twenties, and facing my 40th birthday just around the corner having not yet met my Debbie, being and becoming a writer and knowing the true taste of cheap cabernet. Perhaps it's time for my own WOW group to form.


Till next time,

~T.L. Gray