Monday, February 28, 2011

The Demon King Review

It's been a long time since I've been able to get lost amid the pages of a good story.  I mean get really immersed where everything around disappears and the mind escapes into the land of fantasy.  No television, no dishes, no laundry, no bills, no work, no responsibilities or chores.  Just the adventure that explodes in the mind, meeting new characters, caring about what happens to them, feeling for them and hoping for the best. 

Well, thanks to Cinda Williams Chima's Seven Realms series, I've been able to do just that.  It's not like I needed an escape.  Actually, it came at an inopportune time, but at a much loved and cherished one anyway. 

The first book of this series, The Demon King, is excellently written and follows the journey of two reluctant heroes.  Hans Alister - a streetrat, vagabond and a marked man with no hopes for a future and nothing of a past to cling, except for a mystery, an unknown inheritance and a secret that changes everything. Then there's the princess heir-Reisa  whose future is already mapped, enslaved as a political pawn in the fight for power, until her path crosses with a childhood friend and a villaneous streetrat. 

I loved it.  I devoured every ounce of  imagination.  I can't wait to continue the story in The Exiled Queen. 

Till next time,
~T.L. Gray
Author of The Blood of Cain