Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Deadlines & Excellence

There are some positive and negatives to everything in this world, including deadlines.  Having a deadline gives me a clear and precise expectation and a time-frame to work within to meet them, while struggling to also maintain a spirit of excellence in my work. 

Deadlines and expectations also gives Murphy the same thing.  He tends to work overtime to do, send and lend a hand to anything he can think to knock me off course, tempting me to rush and give only partial effort. I must persevere, push forward, and not allow anything to give me to pause or an opportunity to present less than my best.

Today I sit here with a clear deadline and directive from my publisher to complete the latest edits for Milledgeville Misfit.  Half my face is smiling; the other half shares a grimace, yet on I strive for excellence.    I'm reminded of a proverb: "Do you see a man who excels in his work? He will stand before kings; he will not stand before unknown men."  Again, I have such great expectations.

Till next time,
~T.L. Gray