Friday, January 06, 2012

Getting Back Into the Groove - Random Thoughts

While I love all the merriment of the holiday season, I love getting back into some semblance of routine even more.  I'm a creature of habit - and this coming from someone that doesn't have a set routine.  Every day is a new experience, a new test, filled with new requirements, expectations and plans.  But it's also filled doing what I love - writing, reading, marketing, encouraging, blogging, editing, updating, scheduling, meeting new people, meeting old friends and surrounding myself with those I love and admire (not necessarily both at the same time). Many of these days I spend most of the time alone with my imagination, but that's okay - that's a great place to be too.


Even though I'm over-weight by the world's standards, I find that I'm happy with who I am and what I weigh.  I'm healthy, I'm active, I'm mobile.  I get up every morning (well - at least 5 days a week) and tackle my exercise routine with the same zeal as a medieval warrior.  While the first twenty minutes are painful and sluggish - the adrenaline rush of the last forty minutes is worth every bit of the effort - as well as the pound or two drop at the end of the week.  I'm multitasking - killing two birds with one stone by reading the latest novel on my Kindle as I burn calories on the treadmill.  This helps me take my mind off the strain of my muscles as I exercise. I also love taking a long walk as I enjoy the beauty and majesty of nature.

Blogging is my brain exercise.  No matter the subject - the practice gets all my synapses sparking, sharpens my vocabulary and speeds my typing so that when I start tackling the editing beast of my novels, I'm wielding writing weapons and stand ready for battle. Writing is like any defensive measure - it requires much practice and application. I rarely suffer from 'writer's block' because I never stop wielding my writing sword.

Not all writers are blessed and successful the first time out the gate like a Stephanie Meyer or J.K. Rowling.  Most of us have to do the majority of our own marketing, selling and promotion.  This takes a LOT of time and effort.  You've got to really believe in yourself.  You don't have to know everything; believe me - you'll learn as you go - but you do have to have a determination of steel.  Never give up.

And a final thought for the day:  Not everyone measures success in the same degree.  Some writers would measure success in royalties, others in books sold.  If I've been able to inspire one person to chase their dreams, take a second look at what they thought they believed or understood, or sparked one imagination to believe in themselves and what they can accomplish, then I'm a total success.  THAT is what I strive for on a daily  basis. THAT is the foundation to everything I write. 

Those are some random thoughts for the day.  I hope you've been able to find at least one bit of encouragement from some of it.

Till next time,
~T.L. Gray