Thursday, January 19, 2012

Don't Give Up - Keep Running/Keep Standing

Giving up is the easiest thing in the world to do; it takes the least amount of energy and releases the largest amount of pressure.  However, while everything I do is permissible, not everything is for my own benefit.  While I am free to give up (I have the power to choose), doing so isn't always for my good - even if I'm wrong.

Standing fast, holding out, and refusing to move is hard, especially when it comes to standing still.  I might not think standing in one spot, refusing to budge and keeping my eyes focused straight ahead is easy (compared to digging, shoveling and barreling through), but I'm finding it's the hardest thing I've ever had to do.  I'm also discovering it takes a lot more faith to stand still than it does to move.  My mind is constantly bombarded with questions of, "What if I'm wrong?", "What if I'm making a mistake?", "What if I'm supposed to be doing something else?" and "Am I wasting my life and time?"   Yet, I can't move based on what I think and feel (the two major contributors that lead to confusion). 

My thoughts can be deceptive and my feelings can change with every shift in the wind.  The only way to make it across the finish line is to put aside thoughts that want to take me out of my lane and send me in the wrong direction, and push through the aches, pains and fatigue.  I must relegate my breathing, concentrate on the goal I want to achieve and push forward - even when I have to stand still. 

So, what if I'm wrong?  What if the path I've decided to take is the wrong path?  The only thing I can do is continue with the quest I'm currently on until I receive a clear directive to shift, but not based on shifting thoughts and feelings.  Perseverance means to push on in the midst of opposition.  Without opposition, there's no perseverance.  Without options there's no choice.  Without determination and a desire to win, there's no victory.  Without other runners, there's no competition. 

Press on.  Continue to stand, even if you don't think or feel like it.  The only way you're truly going to know if you're in the right race is to finish it.  And if you are wrong ... so what?  You've at least accomplished something and have a more clear idea of what race to run next.  And if you are right ... you've won!

Till next time,
~T.L. Gray