Monday, November 04, 2013

Dog River Library Festival '13



One of the joys of being a writer is the opportunity to meet fans and readers face to face at local writing events, festivals, signings and conferences.  It’s a chance to connect to the reader, gauge responses to the work you’ve worked hard to create, see how well our vision translates, and just have a moment to witness the fruit to all our labor. 

Last year I attended over 42 appearances all over the state of Georgia.  I went as far south as Columbus and Milledgeville, east to Lawrenceville in Gwinnett County, north to Marietta and west to Bowdon Junction.  I could be found at festivals, cultural art centers, bookstores and libraries.  I met readers as young as ten and as old at 110, and I loved every moment. This weekend I attended the Dog River Library Festival '13.

My life has since been turned upside down (some for the good, some not so good) and took a little break from appearances.  I also took a little break from the marketing and business side of writing and publication and spent a little time being reminded of my joy and passion for the art of writing.  I learned a few new styles of writing, and dabbled in a few new genres.  I developed a love and appreciation for poetry, short stories and flash fiction, and danced around with the construction and exposition of romance and erotica (two genres I loathed to read).  I spent some time in the company and awe of other talented writers. 

It’s really important for writers to be surrounded by other writers, to learn from, to associate and to relate.  I needed the writers that have come in my life so much I doubt I’ll ever be able to fully express to them how much they have all meant to me. Recently, I’ve reconnected with some of my readers and fans and have made a few appearances as local festivals and appearances.  That’s important too.

But, it’s time to get back to work.  I’m now diving back into my writing and pushing my literary agency to the next level.  Thank you, everyone, to all those who have supported and stuck with me through what has been a very wild and changing season in my life. 

Till next time,

~T.L. Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment