Saturday, June 09, 2012

Switch it up, but stay on target!


One of the greatest enemies of writers, or anyone in a particular artistic field, is to get the doldrums.  Becoming stagnant is often the death-stroke to the greatest of masterpieces.  It’s one of the leading causes of unfinished manuscripts sitting in attic boxes, incomplete paintings piled in corners, or half-finished songs piled in piano seats. For authors, these lethargies are often referred to as ‘writer’s block’, but I’m starting to discover another reason.

It’s human nature to be ritualistic, to consolidate our lives.  Routine is good, especially when it comes to being productive and organized.  Establishing a routine requires creativity and imagination, the desire to take disorder and rearrange into order.  For someone creative, this process stimulates our gifts.  The danger appears once order is established, and creativity is no longer in demand.  For writers, this is the moment when we find ourselves with our fingers on the keyboard, but are uninspired.  I don’t think this moment is because our creativity is blocked, but our inspiration hasn’t been exercised.
 
Our lives are filled with a series of memorable moments.  If those moments are all uniform, the same day in and day out, they become insignificant and uninspiring.  If you find yourself in the doldrums, change something.  It doesn’t have to be a big thing, just something that will cause a new experience.  Switch it up, but stay on target.  Don’t lose sight of the finish line, just change lanes.  Then watch creativity shift into gear at the prospect of a new disorder to conquer.

Till next time,
~T.L. Gray

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree. Because of time constraints, writing is still just something I do in my spare time, but I really try hard to stick to a schedule. Otherwise, my writing projects never progress.

    I think of myself of a creative person, but like most people, creativity isn't something I can turn on and off like a faucet. It comes and goes at it pleases, and doesn't adhere to my silly schedules. While it's frustrating to have my writing time and bouts of creativity miss each other like ships passing in the night, it's exhilarating when they do match up.

    I've been trying to switch things up like you said, whether it be change of scenery, writing times or whatever. It definitely makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're on the right track. It's awfully familiar to how I started. Good luck with your writing endeavors, and keep reading. Perhaps these blog posts can help keep you on target and inspired when it gets tough.

      Delete