Wednesday, October 23, 2013

I Could Be Wrong


Yeah, you’ve heard it here.  I’ve even went to the trouble to write it down so there’s proof of my admittance.  I’m not one of those people who can’t admit when they’re wrong.  In fact, I’d say I probably admit my failings, weakness and misunderstandings a little too much. 

Admitting I could be wrong about something, doesn’t mean the choices or ideas I expressed were not what I thought were the best options for me at that time, or were the best according to my understanding, because that is where I find most of the problems lay.  Not that I committed an intentional infarction, but that I operated mostly from a position of misunderstanding. 

We, nearly all seven billion of us, have different experiences, ideas, hopes, values and morals that we draw from, react with, or use when it comes to the things we do and the choices we make.  While we think we’re right in our own eyes, we’re essentially only right within our own concepts.  Forcing someone else to respond or react to our outlined prescriptions is truly an invasion upon their will.  It’s not that one is right and one is wrong – because by which standard is the measure for what is right and wrong? 

Just because we don’t think and respond the same way, doesn’t mean our thoughts and actions are not valid.  I have my own opinion, and I can make up my own mind, but my mind isn’t so adamant that it cannot see a different way or learn a different value.  Compromise isn’t always giving up, selling out or surrendering in weakness – but often comes from a place of wisdom and enlightenment. 

When I hear people say things like ‘there just isn’t a way’ or ‘I can see where this will pose a problem in the future’, or ‘this is just how I am’, I become sad.  I know they’ve solidified their opinion and there’s no longer any hope for further enlightenment or compromise.  I can’t promise I’ll always be right, or expect others to always be right, but I do promise to always do my best, keep an open mind, and be quick to forgive.  That’s all I expect out of others in return. But, then again, I could be wrong.

Till next time,
~T.L. Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment