Monday, January 20, 2014

My Walter Mitty Moments



I've recently had the pleasure of watching the movie, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, and this film has touched my heart in so many ways.  Not because the movie inspired a new thing in me, but because a new thing in me was reflected.  This past year, and even now, I have had many Walter Mitty moments.

What is a Walter Mitty moment, you may ask? It's a moment in a person's life when they go from dreaming of life - to actually living it. 

Here are a few quotes from the movie that absolutely resonate in my heart:

*Stop dreaming.  Star living.

*Beautiful things don't ask for attention.

*To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life. 


Don't misunderstand me, I'm not talking only about moments where everything is wonderful, exciting, new, etc... you know, those milestones we all mark in life as a major achievement?  Some of these Mitty moments are minor, unrecorded, simple, everyday things, but they're still in the realm of the living, not a member of zombieland. 

I've been a dreamer my whole life, always feeling like a spectator, but not a willing participant.  There have been many great moments, right along with many dark moments, but all disconnected moments.  My dreams always seemed more real than my life, as well as my nightmares. I always felt like I waited for something, wondering when it was my time, always waiting for the next wave, the next break, the next lot to fall to me, but they never came. I feared everything. Time frittered by as I went through the motions. I felt the pain and the joy, but was always lost, always searching, always waiting, yearning, wanting. 

But as a butterfly sheds its cocoon, so too have I shed my metamorphic shell.  I have beautiful wings.  I'm flying. The wind brushes my face and I'm soaring through the universe discovering it's beauty, realizing I'm part of it.  It's not easy.  It's not all exciting moments.  Half the time I don't know where I am, or even where I'm going, but I'm flying ...I'm living ...I'm discovering who I am ...I'm loving myself, and my reality is becoming more vibrant than my dreams.

Do I have the answers to the universe or the keys to happiness?  No.  All I know is that what was once gray, is now vibrant; what was once out of reach, now flows through my heart; what was once dead, now lives.

Can I fail?  Yes.  Can I lose?  Yes.  Can I make a mistake?  Yes.  Can I get hurt?  Yes.  But I can also succeed, win, make a great match, fall in love, and be extremely happy.   All I know is I'm going to live as fully as I can as I go through what life I have left.  Living isn't just smiling... it's crying, hoping, fearing, getting excited, being disappointed, dreaming, hoping, taking chances, trying, jumping, being in the moment and just being honest, opening my heart. 

What have done lately?
Where have you been lately?
What have you dreamed lately?
What have  you taken a chance on lately?
Who have you loved lately?
Who have you allowed to love you lately?

Jump.
Jump. Jump.
Open your arms.  Open your heart.  Jump. Live. Fly.

*Also, get this soundtrack ...it's awesome!!!

Till next time,
~T.L. Gray

 

No comments:

Post a Comment