Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Appreciation Defined



Do we really appreciate things around us or the people in our lives?  Do we really even understand what being appreciative means?  We think it means to only be 'thankful' for something or someone, but that's really not where the definition ends.

According to Webster appreciate means:

     1. to be grateful or thankful for: They appreciated his thoughtfulness.
    2. to value or regard highly; place a high estimate on: to appreciate good wine.
    3. to be fully conscious of; be aware of; detect: to appreciate the dangers of a situation.
    4. to raise in value.


I want to focus on the verb, the action, for this word ... to increase in value.

How often do we increase in value those we appreciate?  To do this requires movement. It's not a one time thing but something in perpetual motion.  It would require an effort, a choice, a conscious decision.

We all sometimes see the beauty and greatness in someone we love, and in that moment feel an honest appreciation for them.  But, when the sun isn't shining, when dark clouds swirl, when we see their hurt, their pain, their low moments, their fragility, their faults, their humanity ...we face a different choice - to focus on the ugliness and allow depreciation, or love them through it and help them appreciate - increase in value.

A few dear friends have done this for me over these past several months, especially when I found no value in myself.  They continued to love me when I could not love myself.  They refused to let me push them away and loved me anyway.  Their love, their appreciation, their faith in me has helped me appreciate - to increase in value, and I am so grateful, so thankful, esteem and regard them so highly, am fully conscious of their love, am aware of their faithfulness, acknowledge their efforts, and they are giants to me. I love them dearly and hope I can do for them as they have done for me.

Be appreciative today and everyday.  Build up and not tear down.  Love one another.

Till next time,

~an Appreciative T.L. Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment