Monday, March 12, 2012

10 Ways to Success ... Well, at least one.

I want a lot of out this life.  I'm not satisfied to just get by and survive the day.  I want to rule the day.  While many times I feel out of control, the truth of the matter is - I control much more than I realize; and so do you.  Decide the measure of success you want to achieve, and then settle for no less.

When I sit down and make a list of what I want out of my life, a clear path of what I must do becomes apparent.  Because what I get out of my life is what I pour into it.  That doesn't mean things don't sometimes come into my path, which are completely out of my control, and through the sheer force of their blow tries to force me into a different direction.  On the contrary - I expect those obstacles at all times.  It's up to me whether or not I allow those distractions to move me and discourage me enough that I'll leave my dreams behind.

Case in point:  Being a full-time writer requires sacrifice.  Not just from me, but really from everyone in my life.  The everyday pressures push against me to move me in a different direction, but I must choose to remain steadfast.  That's just the first part.  Knowing what I'm supposed to do is only the beginning.  The challenge comes then in everyday decisions that shape how I'm to do what I'm called to do.  This is the part that is in my control.  What I pour out, what I sow into others, what I plant, and what I sacrifice; THOSE are the things I will receive. 

I want my work to be constructed with a spirit of excellence, sow ideas into hearts, inspire creativity into minds, and be an example that others can follow.  I don't aim for fame and glory, but a platform of inspiration.  I want to be a spark into the life of potentially great writers, and I want to do all this with joy.  Knowing what I want to accomplish, I know what I need to do.  Every day I need to pour out what I want to receive; to help others, to inspire, to serve.  I cannot lead unless I first learn to serve. 

So, that's what I do.  I pour, share and give what I have (the gifts and knowledge that have been given to me) with others.  I spend time teaching others what I've already learned, as I sit and learn from others who have gone before me.  I try to inspire other writers to stir up their gifts, so that my own gifts are stirred.  I try to teach others the discipline I know this profession requires, and I stay faithful and dutiful to those requirements.  I pass along the knowledge I receive so that others can succeed, which opens the door to my own success.

This all sounds great in theory, but it's not theory for me.  Over these past few years, I've lived to experience every area.  While I could list 10 steps to writing success - this is the method that works for me.  Other writers in my circle may not view or even understand my definition of success, but I'm not responsible for their understanding.  I can only state: Look at the fruit of your labor and determine what kind you're producing.  By your fruit, you'll know what kind of tree you are. 

Till next time,
~T.L. Gray  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment