Friday, September 06, 2013

Writing is Hell



I stumbled upon a joke about writing that just hit me like a splash of cold water on a hot Georgia summer, and though I laugh at it, I can't help but wonder if my laughter is just an effort to hide the truth in the statement. 

Here's the joke:

A writer died and was given the option of going to heaven or hell.
She decided to check out each place first. As the writer descended into the fiery pits, she saw row upon row of writers chained to their desks in a steaming sweatshop. As they worked, they were repeatedly whipped with thorny lashes.
"Oh my," said the writer. "Let me see heaven now."
A few moments later, as she ascended into heaven, she saw rows of writers, chained to their desks in a steaming sweatshop. As they worked, they, too, were whipped with thorny lashes.
"Wait a minute," said the writer. "This is just as bad as hell!"
"Oh no, it's not," replied an unseen voice. "Here, your work gets published."


In simple layman's terms - Writing is hell either way you look at it.  

So, go chew on that for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment