Thursday, October 05, 2006

Keep On Deliberately Sinning...

Hebrews 10:26 - 27 "If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left."

This scripture has really been rolling around in my mind over the past week. I'm astounded by it and I've asked others (both Christian and non-Christian) what they thought it meant, and overwhelmingly most people said they thought this passage is talking about people who have rejected the message of Christ (Salvation).

How do they come to that conclusion? This passage doesn't mention anything about salvation and it wasn't given to the unbelievers, but to the one's who already believe.

Paul said, "If we"... he included himself and those like him (believers). So, this passage is meant for the believer (Christian) that has already received salvation and has already entered into a covenant with Christ and accepted, by faith, His sacrifice for sin. So, this passage couldn't be speaking about 'unbelievers' and their deliberate sinning, but to Christians.

So... If we (Christians) deliberately (to do on purpose) keep on (to do again and again-not just once to twice) sinning (it doesn't mention a specific sin- so I must infer that this means "ALL" sin - anything contrary to the Word of God) after (not before, but at a later time) we have received the knowledge (understanding or awareness) of the truth (not someone's opinion, but the Truth as written), no (none, zero) sacrifice for sin is left (including the sacrifice of Christ - because this counts a sacrifice), but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of a raging fire that will consume the enemies of God (inferring to the 'we' mentioned at the beginning of the passage).

Wow - this is for the Christian, who has already accepted the sacrifice of Christ; not the non-Christian unbeliever. Yet, "if" we (Christians) do this thing (continue to deliberately sin after knowing the truth), we (Christians) will face judgment and the raging fires and be considered as an enemy of God.

Boy, does this put on a whole new perspective of things. For those who don't want to consider that Paul was talking to the Christian in the above passage, the rest of the passage confirms it by speaking exclusively about 'trampling' the Son of God (Jesus Christ) underfoot because they have treated as an unholy thing the blood of covenant that sanctified him and has insulted the Spirit (not a spirit) of grace.

Hebrews 10:28-31 - "Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. (The results of the Old Covenant for breaking the Mosaic law.) How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God (Jesus Christ) under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing (by the actions listed above of deliberately continuing to sin) the blood of the covenant (New Covenant) that sanctified him (cleansed him of sin by faith through grace) and who has insulted the Spirit of grace? For we know him who said, 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' and again, 'The Lord will judge his (those who belong to him - believers) people.' It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

Wow... wow... and wow. I do not want to be considered the enemy of God, I don't want to abuse and treat unholy the sacrifice that my Lord has made for me and I don't want to fall into hands of the living God in judgment. So, I will consider my actions and pray for clear understanding. I ask for forgiveness and mercy if I've done this in any way.

As my pastor says often, "This isn't one of those scriptures you want to put up on your refrigerator", or in my case 'my computer', but I will - in hopes that I learn it and write it upon my heart that I might not sin against God.

Till next time,
~T.L. Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment