Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Encourage Ourselves

You ever notice that when you're going through something, there are people around you who like to 'encourage' you, but you know in your heart that the words they speak are not really coming from their heart? Most of the time, it's familiar catch phrases.

I've been hearing a lot of them lately and really thinking about what those phrases really mean to me. But, not matter the amount of encouragement I get from others, the only way that really works for me is when I encourage myself. I honestly don't like encouragement from others - I like the truth. I like for someone to tell me - "Oh, get over yourself and quit having a pity party." - than to hear - "We all must walk through difficult times sometimes, but the key is that we will get through them".

While I understand the sentiment behind the second statement, it really doesn't do me any good. I know that I will get through it - but my trouble is in the moment, not in the future. In a way, it's nursing the downcast sentiment. I don't need nursing, I need to get back to life at hand. In my life, the key to my happiness is found in the living everyday. My frustration and agony is present when I'm planning for tomorrow or thinking about the past. Regretting mistakes I've made and being afraid of making more - all the while missing what's right in front of me and living in the moment.

So, to live in the moment - I don't need a comforting hand, I need a reality check. I don't need words of encouragement that tell me things are going to be alright. I KNOW that things are going to be alright tomorrow, but I've got to get back to living today. I've learned that to do that - I must encourage myself and really think about what I'm saying.

As my spirit sings - I listen to what it's saying. "Draw me close to You, never let me go. I lay it all down again to hear You say that I'm Your friend. Help me find the way to bring me back to You. You're all I want. You're all I've ever needed. You're all I want. Help me know You are near. You are my desire, no one else will do. No one else can take Your place, to fill the warmth of Your embrace. Help me find the way to bring me back to You. "

I know I must encourage myself and allow the Comforter to minister to me, because His words are spirit and life, and He truly is my strong tower that I run to in my time of need. It's not just words I say or sing, but a way of life of how things truly are. I can't give that to anyone else. I can't even 'encourage' someone else to do the same, because my relationship is my own, developed over years of personal experiences and only I can walk in that relationship. Everyone must develop their own by encouraging their self.

"I lift my eyes up to the hills - where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth, Creator of the earth." Psalms 121:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment