Thursday, July 18, 2013

Simply Complex



I can’t begin to tell you how many times I’ve been chastised, ridiculed or accused of ‘over-thinking’ things and making the simple …complex.  Anyone who knows me has at one time or another told me to quit over-analyzing.  But, that’s who I am.  That’s one of those traits that have helped me gain the small amount of success I’ve accumulated so far. It’s what helps me pull myself out of the holes I find myself entrenched. 

Living honestly requires a constant dose of self analysis.  Without this detail-oriented practice, it’s easy to fall into self-deception.  Also, honesty makes the complex simple.  Lies complicate, especially those we tell ourselves.

I don’t consider, ponder and question every action or decision to make things more complex, but as a pro-active way of preventing major obstacles.  Mostly, I want to avoid as much pain and heartache as I can. 

I look at actions and words committed and spoken by others, and then think about the consequences of those actions and words way down the road.  I look for patterns and habits, not to judge the person, but in an effort to know and understand what types of decisions and actions lay ahead.  Will those things hurt me, or help me?


So, yes… I over-think, I over-analyze, I over-consider, I over-weigh and I over-compensate.  But, I don’t apologize. Not sure if I'm an intelligent fool, but I do know I’m doing my best to simplify what is a very complex life.  

Till next time,
~T.L. Gray

1 comment: